Top 100 Songs
R&B/pop singer/songwriter and dancer born 8/29/1958 in Gary, Indiana. Died 6/25/2009. The 7th of 9 children, he was born into one of history’s most musical families. Achieved fame at 11 years old with his brothers in the Jackson 5 (69-76); the group later became The Jacksons (76-84). Launched a solo career (72-09) while simultaneously working in The Jackson 5.
His 1979 Off the Wall album became only the second in history to score 4 top 10 hits. His 1982 Thriller album, with an estimated 60+ million sales worldwide, became the best-selling album in history; it was the first album to score 7 top 10 hits, fueled in part by breaking down the racial barrier on MTV with some of the most iconic videos of all time. His 1987 Bad album was the 1st to score 5 #1 songs.
For a complete list of this act’s DMDB honors, check out the DMDB Music Maker Encyclopedia entry.
Top 100 Songs
Dave’s Music Database lists are determined by song’s appearances on best-of lists as well as chart success, sales, radio airplay, streaming, and awards.
* Jackson 5, ** The Jacksons. Noted below are songs which hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 (US), Cashbox (CB), R&B chart (RB), adult contemporary chart (AC), UK chart (UK), Canadian chart (CN), and Australian chart (AU).
DMDB Top 1%:
1. Billie Jean (1982) #1 US,CB,RB,UK, CN,AU
DMDB Top 2%:
12. Remember the Time (1991) #1 CB,RB
DMDB Top 5%:
14. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) (1982)
21. Shake Your Body Down to the Ground ** (1978)
DMDB Top 10%:
29. Scream (with Janet Jackson, 1995)
31. State of Shock ** (with Mick Jagger, (1984)
41. Enjoy Yourself ** (1976)
DMDB Top 20%:
45. You Rock My World (2001)
51. Can You Feel It ** (1980)
Beyond the DMDB Top 20%:
61. Lookin’ Through the Window * (1972)
71. I Am Love * (1974)
81. Eaten Alive (w/ Diana Ross, 1985)
91. Give in to Me (1991)
Resources and Related Links:
First posted 8/29/2013; last updated 11/28/2022.