|First posted 1/19/2002; updated 10/16/2020.|
100 Greatest Albums
This list originally aired on cable network television’s VH1. For more details, check out the book VH1: 100 Greatest Albums book, edited by Jacob Hoye and published in 2003. Hoye offers commentaries on all the albums as well as the accurate list. In the introduction, this explanation of the project is offered: “VH1 sent ballots out to over 700 musicians, from Art Garfunkel to Britney Spears; songwriters, disc jockeys, radio programmers, and critics…The votes were calculated and the albums were ranked, producing the following list,” which DMDB is presenting below, including links to DMDB album pages.
Also, check out annual picks for album of the year.
1. The Beatles Revolver (1966)
11. The Beatles The Beatles (aka “The White Album”) (1968)
21. Elvis Presley The Sun Sessions (archives: 1954-55, released 1976)
31. Stevie Wonder Innervisions (1973)
41. Aretha Franklin Lady Soul (1968)
51. Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
61. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Déjà Vu (1970)
71. Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti (1975)
81. Otis Redding Otis Blue (1965)
91. Peter Gabriel So (1986)
Resources and Related Links: