Toby Creswell & Craig Mathieson:
The 100 Best Albums of All Time
This book, published in 2012, offers a look at the best albums of all time. In Anita Awbi’s review of the book for PRS for Music, she says “experienced authors Creswell and Mathieson have certainly done their research for this one and the results are an enthralling journey through the vaults of popular music.” She notes that the book includes many of the usual suspects, but is “not without its eyebrow-raising moments with some interesting inclusions and omissions.” She specifically notes the inclusions of Devo and Midnight Oil and the omissions of Madonna, Abba, and Human League. See the full list below.
Check out other best-of album lists by individuals/critics here.
1. Bob Dylan Highway 61 Revisited (1965)
11. The Beach Boys Pet Sounds (1966)
21. U2 Achtung Baby (1991)
31. The Smiths The Queen Is Dead (1986)
41. Patti Smith Horses (1975)
51. Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
61. Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP (2000)
71. Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (2001)
81. Roxy Music For Your Pleasure (1973)
91. Portishead Dummy (1994)
Resources and Related Links:
First posted 12/13/2021.