Top 50 All Time
This is an expansion of a list (Top 10 Show Tune Albums of All Time) originally posted on Dave’s Music Database Facebook page on February 21, 2010. As with most DMDB lists, this was created based on sales, chart peaks, awards, and an aggregate of lists, in this case more than 100 best-of lists focused on cast albums, musicals, soundtracks, and music-themed movies. The names before the titles indicate the composers.
Check out other best-of-genre/category lists here.
Check out other stage & screen lists here.
1. Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II South Pacific (1949)
11. Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice Jesus Christ Superstar (1970)
21. Richard Rodgers (music) and Oscar Hammerstein II (lyrics) The King and I (1951)
31. Stephen Sondheim (music & lyrics) Company (1970)
41. Mitch Leigh & Joe Darion Man of La Mancha (1965)
Resources and Related Links:
First posted 2/21/2010; last updated 11/4/2023.