Dave's Music Database books

Friday, February 3, 2012

The Day the Music Died: February 3, 1959






A monument to the three performers constructed by Ken Paquette in 1988. Located on private farmland about five miles from Clear Lake.



At the onset of 1959, Buddy Holly, J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson, and Ritchie Valens were three of the biggest rockers around. Holly had scored hits like “That’ll Be the Day” and “Peggy Sue”. Richardson’s biggest hit was the top 10 “Chantilly Lace” and Valens, only 17, was just getting started with his #2 hit “Donna” and the iconic “La Bamba”.

Along with Dion & the Belmonts, the trio of rockers embarked on a Winter Dance Party Tour set to hit 24 Midwestern cities over three weeks. On February 2, they performed at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa. Holly was frustrated with the unheated tour bus and needed extra time to do laundry so he chartered a plane for himself and his bandmates Waylon Jennings and Tommy Alsup. However, Jennings gave up his seat to Richardson who had the flu, and Alsup lost a coin toss with Valens. Jennings, later of country music fame, joked with Holly, “I hope your ol’ plane crashes.” Jennings has said the words haunted him the rest of his life. WK

The Beechcraft Bonanza plane, piloted by Roger Peterson, departed around 1am and crashed less than 6 miles outside of the airport. Everyone died instantly. The crash was attributed to poor weather conditions and pilot error. Peterson was still testing on flight instrumentation and had not been certified to fly in weather required sole reliance on the instruments.

Don McLean famously eulogized the event in his hit 1972 #1 hit “American Pie” as “the day the music died.” It has been called “the first and greatest tragedy rock and roll has ever suffered.” WK

Don McLean “American Pie”




Resources and Related Links:

4 comments:

  1. I intended to post you the little bit of observation so as to say thank you once again considering the lovely concepts you've shown on this site. This has been certainly tremendously generous of you giving unreservedly precisely what a few people could have offered for sale for an electronic book to end up making some cash for their own end, certainly considering the fact that you might have tried it if you wanted. The thoughts likewise worked as a great way to be sure that the rest have similar passion just like mine to realize very much more in terms of this issue. Certainly there are some more fun moments ahead for individuals who start reading your site.
    Sony DSXS310BTX Digital Media Receiver with Pandora stream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, William. I appreciate the support. Don't think I'm above making a buck, though! I haven't done any ebooks yet, but intend to repackage various content I've created here and elsewhere into ebook format. I also promote my already published books (the ad at the top of each blog).

      However, I do also create the content first and foremost because of my passion for writing about musical history. It has always been my intention to maintain free content such as my blog posts or entries on my Facebook page even as I also try to promote works for sale.

      Delete
  2. You actually make it appear so easy together with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually one thing that I believe I'd never understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely wide for me. I'm having a look ahead on your subsequent put up, I'll try to get the hang of it!
    Bogs Women's Classic Mid Tuscany Rain Boot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorena. I appreciate you following the blog!

      Delete