|First posted 1/24/2018; updated 6/4/2020.|
Top 50 Songs
Heavy metal is rooted in the hard rock of the late ‘60s and ‘70s, most often attributed to Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Led Zeppelin, who all got their start in England in 1968. Distortion, extended guitar solos, and overall loudness characterized the genre and the lyrics are often stereotyped as having Satanic themes.
However one defines the genre, here are the top 50 heavy metal songs as determined by aggregating 32 best-of lists. After the top 50 songs were determined, they were re-ranked based on overall points in Dave’s Music Database.
Click here to see other genre-specific song lists.
1. Black Sabbath “Paranoid” (1970)
11. AC/DC “Highway to Hell” (1979)
21. Iron Maiden “Run to the Hills” (1982)
31. Dio “Rainbow in the Dark” (1983)
41. Rainbow “Stargazer” (1976)