Top 100 Songs
Folk-rock singer/songwriter, guitarist, and harmonica player born Robert Allen Zimmerman on 5/24/1941 in Duluth, Minnesota. Took stage name from poet Dylan Thomas. Gained a reputation as one of rock music’s greatest lyricists with his political and socially-conscious songs, even winning a Pulitzer Prize in 2008 for his lyrics.
He went to New York City in 1960 and worked in folk clubs in Greenwich Village. He signed to Columbia Records in October 1961. Retired briefly following a motorcycle accident on 7/29/1966. He was born into a Jewish family, but became a born-again Christian in the late ‘70s and released several gospel-oriented albums from 1979-81 before returning to more folk-rock oriented fare. He has steadily toured since the late 1980s on what has been dubbed the Never Ending Tour. Member of the supergroup The Traveling Wilburys (88-91).
Bob Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone” and Jimi Hendrix’s cover of “All Along the Watchtower” are featured in the DMDB book The Top 100 Songs of the Rock Era 1954-1999. Three of his albums – Highway 61 Revisited (1965), Blonde on Blonde (1966), and Blood on the Tracks (1975) – are featured in the DMDB book The Top 100 Albums of All Time.
Top 100 Songs Written and/or Performed by Bob Dylan
Dave’s Music Database lists are determined by song’s appearances on best-of lists as well as chart success, sales, radio airplay, streaming, and awards.
DMDB Top 1%:
DMDB Top 2%:
5. The Times They Are A-Changin’ (1964)
DMDB Top 5%:
9. Positively 4th Street (1965)
11. Just Like a Woman (1966)
DMDB Top 10%:
18. To Make You Feel My Love (Adele, 2008)
21. My Back Pages (The Byrds, 1967)
DMDB Top 20%:
31. Forever Young (1974)
41. Highway 61 Revisited (1965)
51. Most Likely You Go Your Way and I’ll Go Mine (live with the Band, 1974)
Beyond the DMDB Top 20%:
61. Shelter from the Storm (1975)
71. It Ain’t Me, Babe (Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash, 1964)
81. All Along the Watchtower (U2 live, 1987)
91. I Shall Be Released (The Band, 1968)
Resources and Related Links:
First posted 5/24/2013; last updated 5/27/2021.