Monday, March 2, 1992

Pearl Jam “Saying No” performed live

Saying No (live)

Pearl Jam

Writer(s): ? (see lyrics here)


Performed Live: March 2, 1992


Released: --


First Charted: --


Peak: 1 DF (Click for codes to charts.)


Sales (in millions): --


Airplay/Streaming (in millions): -- radio, -- video, -- streaming

Awards:

Click on award for more details.

About the Song:

This may be the most obscure of my favorite 1000 songs of all time. In the 1990s, Pearl Jam and Tori Amos were my favorite acts at a time when I was working my first post-college job and pouring what little income I had into music and eating out. Being the music obsessive that I am, it was never enough to have just the standard album releases. I needed the B-sides of the singles. I needed the live recordings. I needed the bootlegs.

I blame the locally-owned CD shop. I couldn’t go a week without visiting. They knew me by name and, more importantly, they knew my tastes. I remember Saul cueing up albums I’d never heard when I came in because he figured I’d like them. He knew what he was doing. More than a few times I walked out with purchases I hadn’t intended to make.

“Saying No” starts at the 35:50 mark

When it came to Tori Amos, most of the off-the-beaten track material was B-sides from the multiple singles she released in support of her first few albums. With Pearl Jam, most of the beyond-the-basics stuff came from live bootlegs. By the time they released their third album, Vitalogy, I’d heard a decent chunk already because of them testing out the songs on stage before going into the studio.

I also acquired a respectable catalog of classics by other artists which Pearl Jam performed in concert. Otis Redding’s “Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay.” Neil Young’s “Rockin’ in the Free World.” Bob Dylan’s “Masters of War.” Frank Sinatra’s “My Way.” One of my favorites, though, was “Saying No,” which comes from a March 2, 1992 performance in Holland. I don’t know if it’s an original Pearl Jam or a cover. As far as I know, they never recorded it in the studio. It’s a powerful statement about “no means no.” For me, it also became a statement about music discovery. It represents the enthusiasm associated with finding a personal favorite, a song that feels like one’s own. When it comes to seeking out new music, I hope it’s something I never say no to.


Resources:


Related Links:


First posted 12/15/2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment