Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis
Top 50 Songs
Jimmy Jam was born James Samuel Harris III on 6/6/1959 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Terry Lewis was born 11/24/1956 in Omaha, Nebraska. The two met while in high school in Minneapolis. In 1981, they joined The Time and toured as Prince’s opening act.
Click here to see other best-of lists from performers and here to see other best-of lists from songwriters and/or producers. A year later, they began their journey toward record production and songwriting when they met music executive Dina R. Andrews of SOLAR Records. They began working with the S.O.S. Band, Cherelle, and Alexander O’Neal. They got their big break when they produced Janet Jackson’s 1986 Control album and ended up regularly collaborating with her.
Top 50 Songs
Dave’s Music Database lists are determined by song’s appearances on best-of lists as well as chart success, sales, radio airplay, streaming, and awards.
DMDB Top 1%:
1. Janet Jackson “That’s the Way Love Goes” (1993)
DMDB Top 2%:
3. Janet Jackson “Miss You Much” (1989)
DMDB Top 5%:
6. Janet Jackson “Love Will Never Do Without You” (1989)
DMDB Top 10%:
11. Michael Jackson & Janet Jackson “Scream” (1995)
21. Janet Jackson “Any Time, Any Place” (1993)
DMDB Top 20%:
25. Karyn White “Romantic” (1991)
31. Luther Vandross & Janet Jackson with Bell Biv DeVoe & Ralph Tresvant “The Best Things in Life Are Free” (1992)
DMDB Beyond the Top 20%:
36. Janet Jackson “Because of Love” (1993)
41. Alexander O’Neal “Fake” (1987)
Resources and Related Links:
First posted 5/15/2022.