|First posted 5/16/2020.|
New Jack Swing:
Top 50 Songs
New Jack Swing is a sub-genre of R&B generally traced back to Janet Jackson’s Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis-produced Control album in 1986 and running into the ‘90s. It used some of the sampling, rhythm, and production techniques of hip-hop. Other significant producers included Babyface & L.A. Reid, Teddy Riley (who also fronted Guy and Blackstreet), and Bernard Belle. New Edition were one of the genre’s significant acts as well as former members Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill, and Ralph Tresvant, as well as offshoot group Bell Biv DeVoe. 1991’s Dangerous album by Michael Jackson, and produced by Jackson and Riley, is the genre’s best-selling album with 30 million.
Note: click here to see other genre-specific song lists.
1. Bobby Brown “My Prerogative” (1988)
11. Joe Public “Live and Learn” (1992)
21. SWV (Sisters with Voices) “Weak” (1993)
31. Montell Jordan “This Is How We Do It” (1995)
41. LL Cool J “Around the Way Girl” (1990)