|First posted 9/28/2012; updated 8/14/2020.|
The Top 100 Albums
“Counterbalance” was a weekly column featured at PopMatters.com which dissected the top 100 albums of all time, as determined by AcclaimedMusic.net. The first post was on September 9, 2010. Number 100 was posted on September 28, 2012. Writers Jason Mendelsohn and Eric Klinger debated the merits of the albums with some of the most entertaining and insightful critiques I’ve seen. Here are the top 100 with links to the “Counterbalance” postings:
Note: you can click on an album title to go to a DMDB page for more about that album. If you click on PM after the album title, that will take you to the Counterbalance article about that album.
Also, check out annual picks for album of the year.
1. The Beach Boys Pet Sounds (1966) PM
11. Bob Dylan Highway 61 Revisited (1965) PM
21. Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon (1973) PM
31. Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin IV (1971) PM
41. Joy Division Closer (1980) PM
51. Sly & the Family Stone There’s a Riot Goin’ On (1972) PM
61. Otis Redding Otis Blue (1965) PM
71. Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (2001) PM
81. Aretha Franklin I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You (1967) PM
91. DJ Shadow Endtroducing… (1996) PM
Resources and Related Links: